Thread: Gso rc10
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
JohnH
Member # 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by batema View Post
Surely you would have to be happy with Eta Carina. I have thought of these scopes as well and my concern is the back heavy nature of these scopes. Is this an issue with balancing and also do you think it would go OK on an EQ6Pro and also how do you find the mini guide scope?? Lots of questions. Sorry.

Mark
Hi Mark - yes I saw those issues too - lots of extensions and kit hanging wayyyy out the back - it did not look stable. But that was with the RC8. With the 10" I am in focus with the standard focuser and no extensions using a 2" diagonal and EP or with an OAG with my 20D or with my SBIG train (Ao-8, CFW8, ST2K). Also 3 x 2.7" diameter extension pieces are supplied so, if you need to, you can extend using a rigid mounting system. That said the stock focuser supplied was truely awful (Bintel swapped it for me and the replacement is ok) so an upgrade should be budgeeted for (my Moonlite should be hee soon!)

As for balance - yes it is almost all the way forward on the dovetail rail but it does balance ok (I do use 2x21 lbs on the CW shaft).

The mini guider is not really a match to this scope - I needed a finder and thought, what the heck, this way I can try it for guiding also but it is not long enough fl for the RC10, you could barlow it perhaps but you might introduce fexlure and have focusing issues.