View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 11:05 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Thank you David,

I suppose that there does have to be some sort of spin-off to spending hundreds of hours at the eyepiece with pencil in hand, DSO's, planets and Moon. Another part for me is also following up a sketch with a bit of research into what I sketched. This helps not only identify features, but also understand what I've laid down. It pushes my own visual acuity. AND, it also helps me to recognize similar features in other objects/locations. Understand tale-tell signs, and you will actually see more. Reading this thread started by ol' Wavy stuck in the back of my mind. Then, when I saw the degree of detail on Saturn and knowing a bit more about its morphology (disc and rings), BANG! There was the Encke Division! I didn't set out to see it. I gave myself no reason to even think I would. Dave's C8 is one mighty Cat, as is Chris's Mak!

Sketching alone won't do this for you. But it does all come down to experience, as you said David, is key. Ol' Wavy can't draw a closed circuit diagram without short circuits... But there's nothing wrong with his visual acuity.

This thread really is a gem for observers. It teaches about Saturn's features, and helps push one's own visual acuity and optical quality of one's scopes. All these three ducks line up with the forth duck being exceptional seeing, and a surprise lies in wait!

Alex.