Thread: New member
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2017, 04:06 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Karena, be prepared for a ton of light pollution in Sydney, Also be aware photography on beaches can cause concern with locals and police, even at night just because nobody thinks.

You might be able to find a local park oval easy enough (there are tons around, not always with hideous night lights. Rude parkers are also frowned upon, so if you pull up in s car park and set up gear in the space next to you don't be surprised if a local coming home from work just drives into your gear. Sydney residential areas often have insufficient parking for those who live there and little to no public parking available. And little to no patience for people not respecting the parking. On the north side around Manly say, is heaps of parkland and little lighting so it may just be a case of go and look for a dark spot if you are unable to hook up with anyone. You'd have to go a few hours west to get to more rural regions, there are trains but I don't know if they could get you out past Penrith and back again in the one night. Lithgow and blue mountains will give you high locations and little light pollution but you may have limited sky views due to local trees. Also brass monkey cold at the moment too, but I think worth the side trip especially if you can hook up with locals out that way. Likewise Bathurst, if its along your itenary. I can't really think of anywhere suitable in Sydney, live there most of my life but wasnt really into astronomy at the time sorry. Thinking back it was always busy and well lit, anywhere I went at any time of night. Its hard to avoid people and built up areas. Not sure if Hyde Park in the CBD would be good or not, tons of trees. There will be tons of good views around the harbour so expect having boats etc in foreground shots rather than clear to horizon. Also travel light and discrete, expect harassment from locals, security guards and police, and while none of them know the laws just be polite, dont argue and move on. Sorry if it sounds scary but it could be depending where you are. I wouldn't recommend tackling public transport with a ton of tripods and gear bags either, travel is slow so you still get packed buses and trains of frazzled 9-5ers trying to get home at 8pm. Also there's no reason not to pop into a local police station and just ask them if they can recommend a good safe local location that shouldn't be a problem. Just be sensible and polite, don't go onto say a school oval with a bunch of camera gear, sends the wrong message to onlookers, nor stick to the shadows trying to hide from view etc. Try not to go out on your own if possible. I really hope you get a hookup for an outting or two, its not a bad place but for a first visit you just never know and hopefully get yourself some great shots and good memories to take home.

Of course there is also the Sydney Observatory in the heart of Sydney. Tons of light pollution (unavoidable like any other major city) but contact them about taking photos there, maybe groups to hook up with and locations in your area they might be able to recommend.