Thread: HDR comparison
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Omaroo (Chris Malikoff)
Let there be night...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
Both Andrews have taken fantastic shots - what type of exposure settings do you alter when taking the three shots?
You're not limited to three by any means. I've used up to 15 shots to get smooth water effects like my Harbour Bridge shot.

If you have a camera that has an AEB (Auto Exposure Bracketing) function, it'll be automatic - the camera takes a photo a stop or two under, then one at the mean exposure and then another a stop or two over in quick succession - it feels as though it has just taken a single exposure. Throw these three frames at PS or whatever else you use to generate an HDR merge.

I put my own camera into manual mode and set and lock the aperture to, say, f/5.6. I then take very short exposures at this aperture and gradually lengthen the exposure time between takes until I've gone from thousandths of seconds to two or three seconds over 12 or more frames. A tripod is a must so you don't move between frames. The more frames you take the smoother the result. The Harbour Bridge shot here was an HDR merge of 15 frames.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (harbourbridge_HDR2.jpg)
157.3 KB21 views