View Single Post
Old 29-03-2016, 01:33 PM
_Jimmy (Loren James)

Hi! and also a question on revealing location

Hi All,

Long time lurker first time poster. I've been using this site to stoke the fires of an interest that I have long neglected... and it appears to be working

So now that I am out and about getting to places to get some photos (currently wide angle, wanting to work my way to include deep sky as I can afford things) and have posted up a couple of my first shots around the place (I'll post some here when I get home today) a common question has started popping up that I feel uncomfortable in confidently answering...

Where was that taken?

And I'm not talking in the what state /town kind of general where was that taken, but in this case very specific request for the property.

Now I have to admit that in my last foray out, I wouldn't have exactly had the permission of the property owner (was a farm paddock), but you know how it is, it was somewhere I had found (through hours of my own research) that had something interesting, just park the car and set up.

However, I'm not keen on just handing out the location to some unsuspecting property owner’s land, or to an extent even the town that it was near (although I did mention this in the posting of an image).

So for those photographers that have been at nightscapes for a while, what is the etiquette here with regards to revealing the location of a shot that isn't well known? Are good “private” locations guarded, only shared with close circles of well known people? How would you handle above but also if you have a "spot" that is quiet and gives you the results you are after?

Sorry for long first post, my rambling thoughts control my writing- Jim

P.s. - I'll add some photos later!!