View Single Post
Old 21-09-2020, 01:07 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Well, I moved to Voyager, which is on a similar subscription based model, and in a similar way you can keep using it after it expires, just no updates and no tech support (Did SGP ever provide direct tech support from the devs all the way to a skype call?)

But if SGP is going subscription, I would expect the developer response to support requests and relatively simple feature requests to be a lot better than it has been. The request (Made by a number of people, not just me) to add a focuser move delay before an auto focus image is shot when trying to focus my SCT (To allow that couple of KG of mirror to physically stop moving, a characteristic of any scope moving the main mirror to focus) amounted to "No, make your telescope work properly"

And I think to keep people paying annually they are going to need to do something about basic things, like SGP snapping to the background so often when you click on a dialog (Making several people I have been helping over the phone think it has crashed out) or not stopping the guider properly if you abort a running sequence in the "Wrong" way, making it not work properly when you restart, and not having any option to plate solve back to your target if you pause and restart a sequence. Many of my gripes revolve around having to manually intervene within "Automation" software instead of having a "Push this button" workflow.

I have not got the email yet. I do still use it occasionally when I am doing setup stuff as currently Voyager does not support connecting to individual pieces of equipment on demand (Apart from planetarium software and a flat box) though this is in development I am told. It is useful doing setup to be able to disconnect only the camera so it can be physically disconnected and reconnected at will, though even SGP can get grumpy about doing that too often in a session.