View Single Post
Old 26-11-2010, 10:04 PM
dugnsuz (Doug)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannat View Post
i still can't see the value in 1500 for the cooling box - i will go looking for a small pelt in one of those cooling drink holders & fashion my own box i think - better yet i'll just shoot in winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenchris View Post
Get a eutectic cell from a cup warmer for the car - the other side is a cooler - which can drop the temp by about 20C below ambient. They have a fan etc
Those coolers are essentially what I got for $1K in a professionally modified form!!

But try rapidly cooling your sensor with them - the trick is cooling the sensor not the camera chassis, and that's where I see a major part of the value of this type of mod over the 'camera in a coolbox' method.
Granted, guys like Bert (avandonk) have great success with the coolbox method - but his cooler isn't a simple box with peltier cooler attached.

From web research it seems the most efficient methods employ some type of 'cold finger' on the sensor. The most linked to mod on the web (Gary Honis I think!?) using the cool box gear referred to above can achieve a temp drop of around 20ºC as I recall - but will take around 2 hours to get there.The Central DS cooled DSLR will achieve that drop plus more (approx 30ºC for me last night) in a couple of minutes - major plus.

But I'm really probably making excuses for my lack of DIY tech skills too - I don't think I could make an efficient cool box that I would be happy to stick my 40D in.

Other things of value over CCD ,for example, to me are...1.I don't have to radically change the way I have been imaging for years as it suits me, 2.Live View focusing - simple, 3.ability to use all my Canon EF lenses without adapters (custom made - expensive too!) - my imaging passion , 4.ability to frame and compose the image through the viewfinder and 5.compact nature of the Central DS design - I can't have a large heavy insulated box hanging off my lenses.
And, you can still use it as a normal but heavy DSLR - so it gives you an arms workout too!
And that concludes the case for the defence m'lud!

Doug