View Single Post
Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Whilst the EQ6 is a pretty rugged setup, with a 12" LX200 on it and all the sundry bits and pieces, it's going to probably tax the mount....the LX200 is a fairly weighty OTA. I'd be more inclined to go for a G11 just to be on the safe side. With a newt, I wouldn't go any larger than a 10" and that might even be too much when you add guidescopes, cameras, other counterweights, cables etc. Once again, a G11 would be better. Pricier, but better in the long run. As far as image quality goes, the newt doesn't have the central obstruction a SCT has, so the images will be a little brighter, however one of the new ACF model Meades will have superior views as they're corrected for coma right across their FoV. Plus, with an FR (focal reducer) you can make the SCT just as fast as a newt, so taking just as good widefiewld shots. Your 350d will take some pretty sweet shots with either a SCT or newt, so both will be great for astropiccies. However, for ease of use and less hassles with angular moment and torsion forces being put on the mount, I'd go for the SCT. A 10" newt has a pretty big moment arm and will induce flexure in the mount. The SCT, being more compact, won't have the same problem and will be easier to operate. Basically, if you chose either one to go with, what is the most critical thing is the mount. It needs to be strong and rock steady, especially for imaging purposes. That's why I'd go for the G11 mount. It's a lot more robust than the EQ6 and is designed for heavier payloads.