View Single Post
Old 24-10-2013, 08:28 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulosity. View Post
Thanks Ray for starting this thread and for everyones informative comments, I've learnt a heap
Hi Jo - I agree, there have been some very thoughtful and valuable contributions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naskies View Post

In this case, comparing 1 vs 10 vs 50 vs 100 hours does give a rough idea of what to expect.
Interesting observation Dave, maybe my original thesis is not applicable within subsets of the astro community - Darwin rules, even in Astro imaging? Even so, there is a 2:1 range of imaging times inherent in the QEs of the chips you mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renormalised View Post
Most people would go with an OSC simply because it's a lot more convenient and simpler to run than having to contend with filter wheels, filters etc..
Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
I can relate to this. I always take my OSC with me when I drive out to dark skies once in a blue moon. At home I'm stuck doing NB with a mono. I would never contemplate a filter wheel and doing color on the field. Not enough time for this.
and with an OSC, you never get stuck with 3.5 hours of luminance, 21 minutes of red and clouds for the next week - followed by the moon.

Last edited by Shiraz; 24-10-2013 at 09:50 AM.