View Single Post
Old 23-09-2012, 06:57 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Going off track a bit but alpal is right.

Was given a Samsung LR40 LCD TV recently. Prior owner said it was dead and that Samsung wanted $900 to fix it. I took it thinking I could fix it, as I had fixed our own 40" LCD TV for $80 previously (PCB issue).

So, I got the Samsung apart finally yesterday. 2 capacitors on the pCB with swollen tops, one slightly burst through the expansion petals with sooting. Went online - spare parts places want $374 for the whole PCB. Went on eBay - cheapest I found was out of NZ for $80 with postage.

Looked at the board again. Grabbed the soldering iron, desoldered the 2 boogered capacitors. Went to my local electronics supply store. Came out with 2 new capacitors and a small roll of fine solder (I only had thick solder at home). GOt home, soldered new ones in, clipped the wires. Turned on TV. Voila!

All that cost me $3.20, and that included a $2.40 roll of solder.

Getting back on track... I have been a semi-professional photographer for years (how else could I afford telescopes? ). My 40D gave me close on 3 years great service before the trigger got decidedly iffy to use - VERY heavy, if it went at all (I missed MANY great shots - especially those nude portraits LOL). Local repairer wanted $500. Called Canon. They wanted $250. Out came my trusty set of jeweller's screwdrivers again...(the camera was well used and out of warranty of course).

Sand. The trigger had grit and crud in it (not unexpected!). Zapped it with some automotive microswitch cleaner and an compressed air can. Voila. Cost - $17 (I had run out of microswitch cleaner - you'd be amazed how much a Volkswagen Passat goes through during maintainence ).

So far, I have had superb service out of the 5D Mk II. Not issues at all - yet. It does make a decent astrocam it seems. Now, I just have to convert my 40D to Astro specs...