View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 01:29 AM
Hemi

Hi Oz Maz,

This is what I do, and posted on a previous thread, (could not work out how to put the link)

It’s quite easy to get roughly polar aligned.
1. Firstly: get your mount setup to home position: the following link is brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fO6hyYtPwM

Next

You need a compass, inclinometer and a roughly leveled mount.

2. Point your telescope and mount to face true south. (Magnetic south plus offset for your location, can be found online). Can be approximate.

3. Raise the altitude adjustment of the eq mount to your latitude. (Found online), then fine tune using an inclinometer (iPhone worked for me). Again it is approximate.

4. Fire up the mount and add you location details. And align the GoTo.

5. Use the polar align routine (I’ve done this with celestron and SW) flavors. Follow the instructions. (You don’t use the controller, just the mechanical azimuth and altitude bolts)

6. Switch off. Loosen the clutches. Get the scope back to home. Redo GoTo, redo polar alignment.

7. You can re iterate as many times as you like. 3 worked for me, more yielded no improvement.

8. If you have ascom and a camera all working , then you can Switch over to that and use a windows program called PEM PRO. This has a polar alignment wizard. That will fine tune further if required.

I struggled for quite a while, but this worked very well for me. I have been getting 5m unguided at 700mm focal length.

The thing to remember is the initial polar alignment, where you plonk down your scope, doesn’t have to be super accurate. I only used a iPhone compass and inclinometer despite the caveats of magnetic interference etc so YMMV.

Good luck, and don’t forget to enjoy the process of getting there....all to easily done.

Cheers
Hemi