View Single Post
Old 17-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Paul Haese

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Onya for giving them a go Paul. But I too have heard confidential horror stories from an industry insider. I would strongly encourage you to get an independent optical test done over there before shipping.

But with your rep, I'm guessing they'll do a good job for you
Yeah the horror stories are concerning for sure. I doubt my reputation in Australia will help me much with this purchase but I did mention to them that I had read lots of bad reviews and would certainly write a good review should the telescope be good. I guess time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
You're a brave man, I heard a lot about the lack of quality and finish with these scopes. I do wish you well, the 2 people I knew that got one had several issues with them, from flexible tube and focser movement to the Optics being pinched. I hope you get better service and finish

Kahoonas of steel, there are several people I know that have good scopes from these guys but bad ones means there might be a problem there. Pinched optics can be fixed. I don't expect any focusor movement as I got the upgrade to the tube and focusor rings. Tube flex should also be minimised. The service and finish are concerning but the real problem will be the figure. It that happens I'll just send back the mirror on its own back to them and demand an independent assessment before they return it. Then I'll find out what the service is like. So far the service has been good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Agreed. I know of another FORMER owner of one of the Newtonians, and he could not get rid of it fast enough. A myriad of errors and issues that OOUK refused to deal with.

I guess Mike got lucky - maybe he strong-armed them into sending their best
Mike might have got lucky, but I think a few bad eggs is sometime enough to spoil a reputation. Feel free to email me details of the errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Logan, don't be judgemental my young padawan.

I think Paul assessed the risks before committing the cash, so time and testing will tell. My only major concern is the recourse Paul has should it be - unfortunately - yet another OOUK FUBAR.
To be honest it is a gamble with a lot of cash as is everything when buying astro gear. The exchange rate is stupid here but I expect that I will get a good scope. Recourse will be problematic with dealing directly with them. If they refuse to fix their problem I will get someone to refigure it here if there is a problem. Or I'll find another solution. It's all water yet to go before the bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpal View Post
Hi Paul,
I hope you do well with that new scope.
Newts. seem to be back in fashion.
On axis they give tiny spot sizes & they're fast compared to RCs.
I think the best ones in the world and also the most expensive are here:
http://www.dreamscopes.com/pages/pro...t-astro-16.htm

Lightweight sandwich mirrors with computer designed mirror holders,
carbon fiber everywhere - premium everything.

cheers
Allan

Nice Allan, but who has 33K USD to just dump down on a 16" scope at present? Certainly a dream scope, but not within my reach.

I always swore I would never have another Newtonian after the ones I had in the 1980's-1990's, but sometimes you have to reassess things. Star sizes, imaging speed, image scale and many other things are better now and so the possibilities are greater.

The good news is that I have been told between 4-6 weeks from now shipping will occur. I suppose I'll find out soon enough if this promise is to be kept. Fingers crossed.