View Single Post
Old 03-04-2019, 07:40 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sconesbie View Post
Thank you Renato. I've got a 10" dob at home and the views are cool through that. I was assessing another dob instead of one on EQ mount this time and looks like I might do that. A six inch will do the trick. I need something I can load in the car when we head away and bring it home again. I'm not leaving the new one at the shack any more.
Yes - the operative word I think being the "we" in "when we head away". I used to happily take my little 80mm/ 500mm focal length refractor away with me when I was single, but after getting together with my wife, I had to get a smaller 66mm William Optics refractor for taking away when travelling.

Now it depends how big your car is. If it can take a 6" dob without others complaining, that's probably the best way to go. Though you do miss out on the wide field views of the refractor.

I remembered what I didn't like about the AZ3 mount with my 100mm achromat. Basically my setup with the Achromat connected to Celestron Delux Slow Motion control, in turn attached to the top of a solid tripod was just much easier to use than with the achromat on the AZ3, especially as when using the solid tripod it is simple to raise or lower the height of the telescope to suit one's chair.

Unfortunately, that Celstron slow motion control is no longer available, and the Orion version very poor in comparison.
Cheers,
Renato