View Single Post
Old 24-12-2013, 02:16 PM
budich (Budi)

Hi Philip !

Thanks for the advice unfortunately I just ordered it yesterday and the package supposed to come today or tomorrow but it comes with a tripod package luckily .

After reading your suggestion, i have no idea whether i bought the right things, anyway i'll take it as a lesson as im totally new to this things and yes they have fully multi coated lenses and BK4 prisms

I saw your location was in Melbourne too ! any idea where to start this star-gazing or how to do it better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipheaven View Post
Hi Budi,
Binoculars are a good choice for starting out in astronomy.

I wouldn't recommend those Celestron 15x70 unless you wanted to get a tripod as well. Binoculars with magnification more than 12x are usually not suited to being hand held, as the extra magnification will emphasise any wobbling from your hands, making whatever your looking at dance around a lot. This is especially the case with heavier binoculars.

I think one of the best places to buy binoculars is Obewerk. Check out this site

http://www.bigbinoculars.com

I've bought binoculars from these guys and their service is fantastic and the binoculars are brilliant. They all have fully multi coated lenses and BK4 prisms. With the market in optical products these days I would't purchase binoculars unless they had these two things at minimum. I don't think those celestron sky masters are fully multi coated.

I've recently purchased the 11x56 from Oberwerk and they're brilliant. Also took less than 2 weeks to come from Ohio. Including postage they were only $135, which is a much better deal than $239 for the celestron sky masters. The 11x56 are well suited to astronomy, with big 56mm aperture and good magnification for hand held use. Also, they come in at exactly 1kg, which makes therm perfect for long periods of hand held use.

One other thing, I'd steer clear of ozcsopes. Their staff are not knowledgeable at all (the people I've dealt with aren't even interested in astronomy, nor use astronomical products) and their service post sale is non existent.