View Single Post
Old 27-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

Saturn's brightest 2 Moons have their greatest Elongations tonight.

Titan, the most visible moon (Mag 8.4) has its greatest Elongation East, whilst Rhea, the second brightest moon (Mag 9.6) has it greatest Elongation West.

I plan to follow these moons in the coming days or months to give myself a better appreciation of the 3D aspect of viewing Saturn and its Moons.

After being comfortable in immediately identifying Rhea, I will then hope to build on this knowledge to improve my knowledge of the inner Moons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGrid View Post
Thanks Bob for heads up on Comet 2015 V2. ( Johnson ).

With assist from SkiSafari 5 Pro and this link http://members.westnet.com.au/mmatti/sc.htm I was able to find it.

From our lit up skies at around 22:00 last night, I could nearly make out something with avert vision in 7x50 bino's and confirmed that with a little blob in the GSO 10" dob with a 2" 30mm eyepiece from Bintel.
Well done! I am surprised you saw it with binoculars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Tried it under dark skies tonight with 7x35 binoculars. Almost drowning in dew by 730pm, camera lenses fogging so didn't set up the scope.

Joe
Joe, I hope U have a better night tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
Just been outside trying from Coburg in Melbourne with 7x50 bins but no sighting. There is just too much light pollution. I need to be home under my dark skies in Tassie with a larger scope!
Steve, I hope U see if with the big 140mm before the Moon interferes.
I hope the same for me. I had a family dinner last night and afterwards set up for a quick look with the 80mm and then intended to get serious when the clouds really spoilt my plans.