View Single Post
Old 13-07-2015, 10:24 AM
SpaceNoob (Chris)
Atlas Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Greg, we're using RBI flush with a PL16803 at SRO now. The RBI flush actually adds additional noise. The current that leaks out of the traps after the flush, like any signal, has shot noise associated with it. What the flush does is prevent ghost images from previous exposures. It's not intended or expected to reduce overall noise.

Cheers,
Rick.
Rick is correct, but the added noise is pretty low from my very limited observation as I've only had the camera a week or so now, it was around 50ADU added noise. I am running it at -35 and RBI stands out, a lot. If I was running it warmer and the camera had a higher read noise I probably wouldn't notice the ghosting. I'll take the predictable and subtractable noise pattern over a variable ghosting impact which will no doubt degrade the stacked end result... We'll see what happens for SII and OIII subs though.

If you use RBI flashing, you can't scale your darks, and in your darks/subs you will notice fixed pattern noise as a result of the physical silicone chip that the 16803 is cut from. It's like a ripple but it disappears once you calibrate.