View Single Post
Old 16-02-2019, 01:22 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I have always come to focus "Uphill" having picked that trick up shortly after I got this scope (I have had it the best part of ten years, time flies!) The Feathertouch reduced the issue a lot but it is still there.

The problem will be if I automate focus it is probably going to want to rock through focus both ways to pick the best focus bu FWHM or HFD methods, and refocussing as temperature falls I think will end up moving the mirror down as the OTA contracts.

I have done a little more hunting and it looks like the bigger Moonlite is close to the best option despite requiring an adapter to be made to fit it to 2" threads. The adjustability in how the reducer is fitted to it (That is missing from the 2" version) might allow for me to fit it along with my TOAG and still have a decent chance of getting the spacing right. But it it a pretty sizeable gamble about getting it all to hang together and achieve focus. By the time I built that (If it works) I would be a third of the way cost wise to a pretty sweet imaging Newt.