View Single Post
Old 26-06-2018, 05:00 PM
Chunky Wheeler (Chris)
.....onward and upward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
does the ra axis move freely with the clutch disengaged? The bearing preload on mine was bit fierce and had to backed off bit - could cause motor loading.

the belt may need tightening - mine occasionally develops a resonance when slewing at medium speed and getting the belt tight helps with that. Sounds ordinary, but doesn't appear to do any harm.

It is possible that the worm is binding with the gear and the motor is stalling (that might possibly sound frog like?). It is a little fiddly, but fairly straightforward to adjust the worm clearance. You can also check if there is adequate lube if you take off the cover to adjust the worm.

yes, that video is scary. Fortunately, the bits that seem to need attention are easy to get at - some long Allen keys are useful. and carefully block any holes that screws can drop into.

cheers Ray
Thanks for that info Ray, both axis are perfectly free with the clutches off.

I shall see how it goes after re-balancing for the fourth time when I next use it (always at new moon) and, if the problem continues, may pluck up enough courage to start taking covers off. The problem I have is that the mount and scope sit in my observatory which is a four hour journey from home. It makes you disinclined to start something that you can't pause and re-think. You need to leave for home with job done. Skies are good out there though!

Chris