View Single Post
Old 22-04-2010, 07:45 AM
tonybarry (Tony)

Hello Duncan,

I have an LX90-8" on an Alt-Az mount, and use a mono GStar with colour filters to good effect.

I'd recommend the GStar over a Meade DSI-c as I have both, and the GStar has low light ability that cannot be beaten easily. The One Shot Colour that you desire is hard to get right without a QHY8 or similar. The GStar mono + filters takes longer to produce a colour result but you can see objects in real-time that are far too dim for your eye at the scope.

For example I live in light polluted Sydney, and cannot see M1 in my LX90 visually. But the GStar shows it in real time. I cannot see M83 visually, but the GStar shows the spiral arms as well as the central bulge (in real time). M104 is just visible in the eyepiece and the GStar shows the dust lane down the middle (in real time).

I think the real-time ability is the must have bit for me. You get immediate feedback, you know the composition of your image and you can correct things as you go.

Drizzle stacking with Nebulosity gives very nice images of good quality.

If you want to go beyond the GStar, you need to start forking out some real money for a QHY8 / QSI / similar, a good mount, a good guider + guidescope ...

Regards,
Tony Barry