View Single Post
Old 23-10-2005, 09:50 PM
Ambermile
I make stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker372011
I seem to remember a similar thread some time back..but not sure who makes this and whether anyone has actually tried it

the SAC 10-which as far as I know has yet to ship, and is now several months overdue-claims 3.3 mega pixels at 2140 x 1560, at 3.45 micron square, is cooled to -30 deg C-is priced at $899 (US)

Tony (Striker) had one on order I think...he hasnt said he has got it yet

Other than the small discrepancy in the size of the pixel array, what we may be seeing may well be a reseller of the Sac10

http://www.sac-imaging.com/main.html

it would be very interesting to find out if that is the case

Atik uses a Sony ICX-285AL for the much more expensive Atik 16 HR, so that cant be what we are seeing here; the less expensive Atik 16 uses the Sony ICX-429ALL, with a much smaller array...no, it looks like the Sac 10 or a clone
I think it's more likely the camera that will become the SAC 10 rather then the other way around... The Atik 16HR is not that expensive (ICX-285AL-F actually ) - compared to the price for the *equivalent* SAC camera you may be surprised... Also, it's cooled to minus 30 C? Why? If it's a Sony chip then there is little or no benefit getting it lower than 0 C, I suspect those claims may have been misread - possibly 30 degrees C below *ambient* maybe? Even that's gonna be difficult without a two-stage Peltier and associated heat transfer problems.

The Atik 16's are not a "development" of an old model but a completely new design. Trust me.

Arthur

Last edited by Ambermile; 24-10-2005 at 03:43 AM.