View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 09:22 PM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazjen View Post
I used the flattener with my DSLR - Canon 6D full frame and it worked well, so I think that should be ok?
My experience with a full frame sensor (KAI-11000M) on a RC10 wasn't that great (bad vignetting and field curvature) but if you got good results with a DSLR then hopefully you're OK...

Quote:
Of course. I'll review prices to see if I can fit them in budget. Maybe they might be a gradual acquisition instead of getting all at once.
The 3nm narrowband filters are particularly spendy but worth considering for Oiii. Helps a lot with light pollution and also provides some moon tolerance.

Quote:
What's likely to tilt?
Large sensors are just less tolerant of any small amount of tilt wrt the image plane.

Quote:
What amount of time are we talking about here at a minimum? I've found you need a fair amount of time anyway to get narrowband data, that I've done up to 30 min subs. Probably the minimum I've effectively used is 5 min and that's just Ha.
If you're used to 30 minute subs then you should be fine.

Quote:
A better QE to the 16200, dark current noise a little bit better than the 16200. The FOV is definitely not as nice (but I might be able to get over it ) and it's has under half the full well capacity (is this an issue?).
Dark current noise is rarely a major issue with CCD cameras. Read noise is the real enemy and the impact increases with the square of the RN. With low read noise you can do much shorter subs, hence shallower wells aren't a real problem.

Quote:
Would the Sony still be ok to use without the reducer if I want to use the full focal length?
That's an image scale of 0.46 arcsec/pixel. If you had great seeing and an AO unit it might be worth trying but for typical SE Qld seeing you'd be significantly oversampled.

Cheers,
Rick.