View Single Post
Old 31-03-2015, 01:53 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Eclipse exposure ?

A bit of advice required.
I'm hopefully (weather permitting of course) going to try to get an eclipse time lapse this weekend but I'm having a little trouble deciding on suitable exposure settings.

I want to cover the event for 4 hours from just before contact point with the umbra (2215 hrs here ) to 0200 where it will have just started to exit the penumbra. ( I'm ignoring our daylights savings time shift here for simplicity ). In Auckland it won't be a total coverage, about 5% will still be visible. I'm hoping to run at 5 frames per minute which should get me about 40 secs of video ( @ 30 fps playing ).

My problem is that the light level is obviously going to vary greatly over this period but I'd like to capture the event and still keep the changing light levels consistent with actuality. Any compensating adjustments with ISO or exposure time would obviously show as sudden changes in the video.

My current guessitimate is to run at ISO 200 and about 1/30 sec exposure for the whole event. Early frames will be overexposed but the moon will already be almost inside the penumbra when I start but hopefully not too overdone and near totality exposures should have enough exposure to be visible. End will be over exposed again as it starts to exit penumbra.
Camera will be the 450D with a 2 x Barlow through the Lunt 102 F7 with BYE doing the control. I will probably run in bursts of 15 mins, ( 75 frames ) so I can pause for a battery change if needed partway.

Sound feasible ? Or would it be better to do some light compensation (ISO or expsure time) when necessary to maintain a more consistent level of light. I will run some early tests on the night to establish exposures at a good starting point.