View Single Post
Old 19-09-2014, 12:30 AM
AstroJason (Jason)

Canon 6D DSLR Cooler Box

Hi all,

For the past few days I have been working on building a Cooler Box for my DSLR (Canon 6D). Today I ran some tests where I shot 3 minute darks at ISO3200. I have to say I am pretty happy with the results. I have attached 8 frames (which are heavy crops so you can see the noise) with this post and created a gif here which contains a lot more frames.

The first 3 hours worth of frames where shot indoors during the day where it was a constant 22.5 degrees C. The cooler seemed to reach a limit of around 6.5C. So I put the cooler outside. It then dived down very quickly to 4C. I guess for one the ambient temp was only 17C and because there was a fresh breeze blowing over the heat sink.

I continued to watch the temp slowly drop and drop until it reached -5.1C. It was at this point I decided to stop the test as I began to think I might damage the camera. I know Canon recommends an operating temp between 0 and 40C. I have also heard of errors occuring at low temps. The cooler would have just kept cooling the camera down and I think it would have reached -10 by midnight at the rate it was going!

So I have 2 questions...

With all these cooling mods that get done to DSLRs, particularly Cooler Box mods, what is the limit people are running theirs at?

Also with Darks, I hear its best to keep your lights and darks within a 5 degree band of each other. I take it 2-3 degree difference is ok and won't impact images?

Many thanks,

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (22.5.jpg)
110.9 KB167 views
Click for full-size image (14.4.jpg)
106.6 KB136 views
Click for full-size image (10.8.jpg)
101.0 KB130 views
Click for full-size image (8.5.jpg)
102.1 KB132 views
Click for full-size image (7.jpg)