Thread: Hi I'm new here
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 11:36 AM
namtao (Trung)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
What cool down time means is allowing time for the telescope to equalize to the ambient temperature outside.
The amount of time needed for this, varies depending on the design of the telescope and the difference between temperatures inside to temperatures outside.

What netwolf has done to speed things up, is keeping his telescope near an open door, so it's already close to outside ambient.

Definitely worth doing.

One question, Trung, where at your place in Melbourne will you be setting up your planned telescope? In a back yard, or on a balcony or patio?
Thanks Jenifur! this is great, learning something new all the time. So what would be the side effect of a telescope being unequalised? I mean, how do i know if it needs a bit of cooling down?

Regarding my place - I live near (2-mins walk) a small park with pretty good open space, and a view of the horizon from the south-west to the north-east.
My backyard is full of tall trees and houses, so I don't think it's an option.
I also have a small balcony facing towards the north-eastern side, I think i can get full view of the moon most months from the balcony. That said, the neighboring house would limit my scope, but it's definitely ways better than my backyard.

During the recent lunar eclipse event, i was able to observe it from the balcony, my 8 y.o wasn't tall enough to see it though.

So to answer your question - i wasn't planning to have a fixed place. I was thinking of something portable. But would start with the balcony, and then walk to the local park if i have to. Plus we often go to country for a short break, my plan was to have something that i can easily pack in the car.

Thanks.

Last edited by namtao; 10-11-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: more info about planned use