View Single Post
Old 21-06-2022, 10:13 AM
Greggles (Gregory)

Renting a CMOS astrophotography camera

Hi all,

I think I know the answer to this but just wondering if there is anywhere where you can rent CMOS astrophotography cameras such as a zwo ASI183mc?

Reason for my question is my current set up is a 10" dobsonian on a diy eq platform photographing with a DSLR. I have put Alot of effort into the platform and I love this set up and don't particularly want to get another scope and mount for astrophotography. The issue is although I can keep the target in the FOV for 1.5 hours the sweet spot for exposures is about 10 seconds. The 10 second exposure is obviously adding very quickly to the shutter count of the camera and before I know it I'll probably have to do some sort of repair/service.

So Im thinking of going to a CMOS camera to remove the shutter count issue. My only issue is I would really love to rent/demo a camera for acouple of reasons.
- will the camera perform well at high ISO and short exposures.
- how long does it take to save image to computer after each exposures? (This question stems from an issue I had with backyard Nikon where I was taking 10 second exposures but it would take 10+ seconds to save on computer effectively halving my exposures for a given time. obviosuly not an issue with longer exposures.)

Not sure if it's relevant but I generally only shoot from high light pollution in my backyard.

Looking forward to your responses.

Also please see attached some of my images
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Img_2022_06_21_10_01_38.jpg)
148.3 KB92 views
Click for full-size image (Img_2022_06_21_10_07_33.jpg)
62.9 KB115 views
Click for full-size image (Img_2022_06_21_10_05_25.jpg)
107.8 KB96 views