View Single Post
Old 16-09-2017, 05:18 PM
GC - South Aus

Hi Dayna

At the end of the day, only you know what you truly want to spend and know how your daughter feels.

I believe it needs to be kept in context, and whilst I am not saying I am right and other people are wrong. She is 4 years of age and is looking to play!

I have tried to show that there are cheaper alternatives which are not only fun, easy to use for children and are very cheap. But, most importantly provide inspiration and encouragement.

I think there is nothing better than owning your very first telescope. I still remember mine when I was 9, a cheap Tasco 60mm refractor (plastic tube even!) and two years later I thought I was the best with my 90mm reflector telescope. Both were bought for me by my parents for Christmas, and I can still see them today and have very fond memories.

Like I said, my youngest is 11 and he still has his little Toys r Us scope, even though he nows own's an ETX-90.

What I am trying to say is that kids love play! Getting an adult scope or binoculars worth $200-300 and then locking them away because they are not suitable for her without constant supervision is not encouraging play and young minds!

I agree that a good set of bino's or an 80mm refractor is a great way to go for yourselves to share and encourage this journey with her.

But, for $30 or so. Buy her that very first scope (even if its from Toys R Us) and see how proud and happy it makes her! With the left over money get those bino's for yourselves to share with her, that then also creates parent and child time (together) too!

Obviously I wouldn't be recommending a toy scope if your daughter was a little older!

Anyways, that my two cents as a parent and a kid at heart!

Cheers

Gav

Last edited by GC - South Aus; 16-09-2017 at 05:29 PM.