View Single Post
Old 16-09-2017, 06:10 AM
GC - South Aus

Hi Dayna

For a 4 year old, I would side on the toy telescope option.

I bought my youngest lad a small 60mm refractor telescope from Toys R Us, it was his first and it cost about $50-60. He was six at the time, he loved it and still has it. Great for looking at the moon, stars and doubled as a day time terrestrial viewer. I think it was Edu Science brand, they still sell them.

A couple of years later he wanted another telescope to supplement his 60mm refractor. But this one doubled as a microscope and a table top refractor. It was super portable and opened up two different worlds for him. I think it was made by National Geographic and was around $100. He still has that too, mainly for microscope.

He turns 11 next week and now has a Meade ETX 90 with electric focuser. I certainly wouldn't have bought this straight up at age 6! It's about meeting the age specific needs whilst still providing them encouragement and room to grow.

Other times he is happy to steal peeks through my scopes when they are setup.

I guess what I am saying is you don't have to break the bank to provide encouragement and a toy style telescope will certainly be adequate for a four year old. If it is for you and your husband as well, I would go an 80mm refractor on a tripod or if you can push budget an Alt-Az mount.

Cheers

Gav