View Single Post
Old 21-08-2017, 10:37 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Hi Dayna,

I agree with the idea of a small refractor on fairly sturdy alt-az (i.e.: up/down) mount so that she can look at the moon and do some day-time observing. The 45-degree diagonal is a great idea for children too. I hear what "sil" is saying about the table-top dob: it is a great little entry scope, but the problem for children is that it can't really be used for terrestrial viewing, with its upside-down views- and you can bet that a 4 yo will want to look at anything she can during the day!

Alex and Mirko's comments about a spotting scope are good ideas too: a small spotting scope with a variable magnification eyepiece is great for the moon and terrestrial views. Here is an example of one: https://www.bintel.com.au/product/ce...16-48x-zoom-2/ You would need a tripod for one of these, but a solid camera tripod can be found relatively cheaply. Another good thing about these is that you don't need to remove the eyepiece to change the magnification: much better for a child!

- oh, and avoid like the plague those plastic "telescopes" that you see in toy shops! Nothing is more guaranteed to put someone off for life! For $200-$300 you should be able to get something well made with good optics and a solid mount.

I suggest you go to the Pier Shopping Centre in Cairns and have a chat to the folks at Shop 10: Night Sky Secrets (Ian Maclean is the owner). They might be able to show you through some scopes so you can better assess what you want.

All the best!

- Dean

Last edited by SkyWatch; 21-08-2017 at 10:51 AM.