Thread: GST changes
View Single Post
Old 16-06-2018, 08:33 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
And just who has to document that to whom? Sounds like another scam for Custom Brokers to attach a fee. You can bet that the people at Customs are not going to be interested in proving the origin of a package.
From what I have heard companies with an annual turnover over $75,000 have to register for GST and are responsible for items under $1000 and have to apply GST at checkout, while Customs are responsible for items over $1000. Pretty weird. If anything I think it would be easier to apply GST at checkout to all items, not only those under $1000.
It is also certainly possible that some companies with an annual turnover over $75,000 won't register for GST and think to get away with it.
Some companies don't even know how to do it. Amazon has already blocked Aussies, eBay is still working on it and said the change implies a lot of other changes, so a private company with an annual turnover over $75,000 probably won't even know how to do it.
iHerb also told me that they are "working on it".
At any rate I am trying to buy whatever I liked on my watch list from overseas now. I am kissing goodbye to the solar scope I intended to buy in the near future, at least for the moment.