View Single Post
Old 04-04-2018, 08:50 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Greetings!! I'm pleased your astronomy journey is off to such a fine start. It's a great hobby that I have enjoyed for >45 years. I've had wonderful times, seen memorable sights (eclipses, Venus transit) and had many nights of deep-sky enjoyment. But a word to the wise: I've had a few (actually .. quite a few) blowouts too. Nights looking at clouds, great events washed out, left vital equipment at home .. you name it I've probably had the disappointment. The thing is, the good times more than outweigh the bad times. So enjoy the good times and don't let the speed bumps worry you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine View Post
I have to add that the light pollution here in Woonona is getting worse and the hills behind us are a cloud magnet that gets most frustrtating at times. Yes, I'm in Woonona too.
What's the matter with you two?? Couldn't get a place in Tarrawanna?

Yes the escarpment is a cloud magnet. And good spots over the escarpment are getting further away. These days I just go to my mates place at Bungonia and stay the weekend. Back in the late 70's I could see mag 6.5 from Tarrawanna (mind you, I had eyes then) but these days it's probably no better than mag 5 on a good night, looking west.