View Single Post
Old 18-12-2016, 09:34 AM
gregbradley

First of all I would not get the 09000 Moravian. That would be a mistake. That sensor has bad residual ghost images and the Moravian as far as I know does not have RBI (residual bulk image) option like FLI does. The 16803 is by far the better sensor and is a workhorse and has not been bettered since it was released and it would appear its unlikely to be bettered by a future CCD since CCD is on its way out.

I have had Baaders. I agree with the advice not to mix manufacturers you would regret that too. I use Astrodons which are also parfocal. Having parfocal filters (including the narrowbands) is vital. To focus my Astrodon Ha I use the luminance filter and focus that and then I switch to the Ha and bang its in focus. Focusing a Ha or S11 filter by itself is tedious and slow. You will have to use long focus exposures and it adds on a lot of time. You won't be able to program a series of exposures from LRGB to Ha without a refocus or a focus offset (and hope that offset is the same for varying temperatures which it probably isn't).

Baaders tend to give a good red response. They are not 1:1:1 colour combine like they claim. Nowhere near it. So there is some experimentation to get the correct colour combine ratios.

Astrodon are expensive but well worth it for these factors. Far easier to get a natural looking colour straight away without a lot of messing around.

Astronomik have out out some nice filters recently with their ii versions and now I think its 6nm narrowbands.Mike Sidonio is using them and he gets great colour. They promote they get smaller stellar profiles. Check they will fit in your filter wheel as they are 1mm thick not 3mm thick like Astrodons and Baaders and everyone else. So that can screw you. Gerd makes a spacer which is probably a fair bit extra. Some filter wheels will accept different thickness filters - Apogee, FLI. Not sure about Moravian. Better check there.

My opinion is the newer Astronomiks and the latest narrowband filters with correct spacers to fit would be the better set of filters over Baader.

I had a 7n Ha Baader once that was defective (lots of little salt and pepper specks in the images) and the colour balance is off with too much red.

I would predict it would be easier to get natural looking colour from the Astronomiks plus they are cheaper as well. More bang for your buck. More reliable quality control but just watch the spacers that they don't shaft you there.

Greg.