View Single Post
Old 03-05-2012, 06:36 PM
silv (Annette)

Cool

hi guys,

thanks heaps for your help!
the google images search was particularly helpful!

You would probably laugh - as do I - if you saw the finished thing and then the outside setup (with no less than a plastic binder and a door stopper as the base to come close to my 36 latitude... )
Tested it just now for the first time. one of the shots with 18mm focussed on an object at 45 degrees above the horizon (Orion'sbelt) turned out sharp at 36 secs. I have older shots at 25 secs, same angle with trailing. So there's a little gain, already.
I'm looking forward to testing and tweaking it again, tomorrow night.

Especially with 200mm! I must see the Orion Nebula with a longer exposure than the 2secs I gave it on the tripod!
So, until May 8th - when the moon rise is more convenient for one last glimpse on Orion, I and my mount will be ready!

Brent, that sounds awesome! Thank you for your offer!
I had to get used to using tools and thinking like a tool using person on my own, though.
I'd like to build another one. Possibly using plastic cutting boards instead of wood. Hopefully with a motor if I can find a stepper motor in Auckland, that is. (So far no luck) Not for that last glimpse on Orion next week - but soon-ish. We could make 2. Could be handy for you, too, e.g. when holidaying in Fiji. What say you?