View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 01:54 PM
AdamJL

Hi Peter

I'm a new EQ6-R owner, and I feel your pain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesilver View Post
do i have to first tell it is in home position or something?
This is something I would love to know. Because when I park the scope at the end of the night, it never returns to the position it started from (guessing because I manually adjusted the clutches to star align, but I feel the mount to should take this into account).

Last night I did the following, which worked.

1. Polar aligned with a Polemaster (seriously great bit of kit, once you are pointing to the right region of the sky anyway...)

2. Make sure you align "precisely", it helps later on.

3. Powered on the mount

4. Went through "setup", and selected Yes to Star Align (I went through 90 mins of painful "what am I doing wrong" on this stage by the way, losing valuable shooting time)

5. Chose Single Star Alignment.

6. I selected Achernar. Of course, the mount was quite off. The SynScan controller told me to "use the arrows" to centre the star, but the arrows are "locked up" on the controller. Pressing them did nothing (also used the app, which had the same effect).

7. Manually unlocked the clutches and aligned the star that way. Then confirmed alignment in the SynScan controller.

8. Selected M8, slewed to it and it was bang on.

Now, I went through an hour and a half of messing about to get to this stage. I have no idea how to correctly use this mount. I still don't know the answers to: Do I need to use the dials? Are they necessary? So many times I'd select a star to align and it would point in the other direction of the sky.

When I went to "park" the mount at the end of the night, it went back to a position that wasn't what I started with with both axes centered.

Anyway, it's a learning experience and I am hoping some star parties will kick off again so I can get some help from knowledgeable people in person.