View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Mozzie!!!!

You've no idea how much you've just helped me out here.
Thank you!

The only star splits I've made so far have been A.Cent & G.Vela, and the last few days I've been eager to try and get a list together for some "easy splits", and I just didn't know where to start. So LesD kindly helped me out by explaining to me some arc seconds comparisons (I'm trying to get my head around arcs in an ep) by giving me a guide of A Cent being 5.4 arc seconds and A. Crucis abut 1.4 arc seconds (amongst some other harder comparisons). This to help me gauge a difficulty level. Then of course I've yet to work out magnification levels but he said I shouldn't have trouble splitting the 1 second arc mark at 300x in my 10". So I had some great help to go by with these and other tips he gave me, bless his heart.

I wanted something a little bit tighter than A. Cent. but easy enough still. So I was still needing to do a lot of work to find out which double stars lay a bit tighter in or around the same arc seconds to alpha cent. Your list looks do-able for me and I really enjoy spending the night observing within one constellation, so you have helped me even further.

Like you, fed up of constant bad weather and the nights when it's clear the moon is up, I decided to give double star observing a go.

Really enjoyed your report/descriptions.