View Single Post
Old 29-03-2020, 05:49 PM
glend (Glen)

New 10" GSO Cassegrains have arrived, pondering

So i see the new 10" f12 GSO Truss Cassegrains have finally arrived, and I have been pondering how this scope would be useful. At 3m focal length it seems a good platform for planetary, double/triple star, and planetary nebula observation, and high frame rate video stacking ( which I am not set up for yet), and honestly may never get around to at my age.
I have watched the Orion video of their version of the 8" tube model, and read the Cloudy Night thread on collimation of the 8" model. Given that these scopes seem to be built out of the GSO RC parts bin, except for the mirrors of course, I am leery of stepping into more drama with those GSO focusers (which require the optional tilt ring to overcome their natural misalignment). But maybe better the devil you known eh? I owned a GSO RC8 for a couple of years.
So the question to the few owners out there, and I know of one at Mt Tambourine, is how are you finding the collimation. Both out of the box setup, and dealing with the stock focuser wonkiness? Any general feedback or comments welcome.