View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 03:02 PM
HarryD (Greg)

More PHD2 problems

Hi to you all
Sorry this is so long, but I think I am having problems with PHD2, 2.6.1
My equipment is an EQ6 Pro mount controlled by EQMOD and ASCOM 6.1. My guide camera is an Atik Titan.
I was often, not always, having problems with the previous version of PHD2. Sometimes it all worked well but I would frequently be told that there was not sufficient movement in DEC when trying to calibrate. This message would sometimes not reappear if I parked the mount, turned off PHD2 and started again.
I have never had any problems moving/controlling the mount with EQMOD, or with the telescope control buttons and/or plate solving in Sequence Generator Pro. The N,S,E and W buttons in both of these programs sends the mount in the same direction. What I mean is if I press N in EQMOD or N in SGP the mount moves in the same direction. Same with S, E and W.
I removed the older version of PHD2 and installed the new one, 2.6.1. Looks slightly different but that’s another matter.
PHD2 finds both the guide camera and the mount. I have set it up using the wizard with the correct focal length, pixel size etc.
If I use the Drift Align tool and get PHD2 to slew to the meridian/equator, from the home position (south pole), no problems, off it goes. However, if I use the Manual Guide tool, the outcomes are not what I would expect.
Using the Manual Guide tool in PHD2 I get:
1.The N, up button, sends the mount S or down. The mount moves, but a message appears which says PulseGuide command to mount has failed – guiding is likely to be ineffective.
2.The S, down button, sends the mount N or up. The mount moves the same distance as went the N button is pressed, but again a message appears which says PulseGuide command to mount has failed – guiding is likely to be ineffective.
3.The mount doesn’t move, and no message appears if the E or W buttons are pressed.
So, why do I get a message saying PulseGuide command to mount has failed – guiding is likely to be ineffective when the mount moves after pressing either N or S?
Why does the mount move in the opposite direction to EQMOD and SGP?
Why doesn’t the mount move after pressing the E and W buttons and why no PulseGuide command to mount has failed – guiding is likely to be ineffective message?
I am a bit reluctant to set up outside and try to calibrate/guide etc with these issues.
Any ideas would be gratefully welcomed.
Greg