View Single Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:38 PM
stardust steve (Steve)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
Hi, I have absolutely no idea what to do with my telescope. I have worked out how to look at the moon and all, and it's really good, but as for planets, stars, nebula(If i can actually see them with my telescope) etc I'm hopeless. Any ideas for help? And how do you work out the altitudes? In my book it has all these degrees for stars and planets but I don't know how to find it. My telescope is a Saxon 3" Reflector Telescope, if that's of any use. By the way, the reason I'm pretty hopeless at this is because I'm 13. Could i please have some help or tips or something? Thanks.
Hi Bailey. I too have a 76mm telescope. The best info i can tell you is what i do with mine. I get a star map, identify a constellation or bright star, then star hop from there. That gives you some idea where to head. We are limited to what we can see and when the eyepieces are changed to a higher mag, the object dims. The 3x Barlow lens that came with the scope works well. With mine, i can make out the gas cloud of the Orion Nebula( map for that just a few posts below). I can see Jupiter and 3 of its moons and can just make out two orange type stripes. Star clusters are fun too. I can see Saturns rings aswell. All be it still very small but still easy to see. Star maps really help me out. Really dark skies help too. I hope this helps

Last edited by stardust steve; 01-01-2012 at 09:01 PM.