View Single Post
Old 15-04-2016, 07:44 AM
Shiraz (Ray)

my thought was to use subs of maybe 1 minute or less and apply normal PI processing methods. The gain in resolution (if there is much) would be due to improved rejection of short bursts of poor seeing rather than freezing of the seeing, such as you get at high framerates. However, there are a few very bright targets (eg homunculus), where much higher framerates could be used and it would be interesting to see what AS!2 could do on gigabytes of video at (say) 1 sec framerate. Of course this all depends on the chip having good QE - no data on that yet.

Data quantity and processing time will be a major issue with such a big chip at high framerates - however, some bright targets will not need much overall time and subframe selection + 8 bit digitisation will be appropriate for some. Current planetary image sequences extend up to maybe 20,000 frames with up to 1mpixel frames, so large datasets are manageable. Even so, there will be an order of magnitude step up in processing time and data storage requirements. I hope to have a couple of quad core I7 machines available soon.

Last edited by Shiraz; 15-04-2016 at 10:16 PM.