View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 05:56 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Andy,

Was something I endured for at least a couple of decades -- the last few years (2003-2006) in almost constant, moderate to severe pain. Yes I understand your pain -- sciatic pain is the absolute pits. My former wife once admitted to me (grudgingly -- after she succumbed) that it was probably as bad as childbirth.
I would recommend you go and see a reputable physio for treatment.
In the end, my long-standing problem at the same joint L3-L4 was finally solved by surgery 12 years ago -- I had the disc removed (it was in five pieces so there was no use keeping it) and a laminectomy widened-out the canals the nerves run through. The result was fantastic. Most people don't need to go down this drastic track -- good care by an experienced physio will look after the problem.
If an operation is in the end necessary (and it probably won't be), I would very, very strongly suggest having it done by a neuro-surgeon as opposed to an ortho. The instruments are far, far more delicate and recovery is much quicker and success rates are much higher. When I had my operation (by a neuro-surgeon), I was out of hospital in four days and almost pain free. In fact, I was in less pain straight after the operation than I was before I went in. A fellow in the next room, who had his operation three days earlier than mine was still using a walking frame and obviously still in considerable pain when I left.

Best of luck with it!

Best,

L.