View Single Post
Old 19-07-2019, 05:06 PM
hypersonics (Deepak)

New Telescope Suggestion

Hi All,

I new to iceinspace and I was suggested by one of the whrilpool forum's members to get myself involved in this amateur astronomy group.

I live in Canberra and I am keen to step into amateur astronomy, to begin with viewing moon, planets and other faint objects in the night sky. As such I'm looking into getting a Dobsonian telescope, however, I need some advice on what would be the best choice for beginners and any particular model/brand to look for?

I have been reading a bit about Dobsonian telescope, which I understand works great for faint objects in the sky with little to no light pollution. Correct me if I'm wrong. Can I use the Dobsonian to view the moon and some of the planets as far as the Jupiter and Saturn? Additionally, down the line, I may start doing some photography as well.

I did attend the Canberra Astronomical Society meeting held yesterday (18-July) and it was great to see some of the astronomy veterans, however, I couldn't get a chance to talk about amateur gears for starters.

Would be helpful if I can be put into the right track.

Thank you.