View Single Post
Old 30-09-2020, 07:58 PM
bluesilver (Peter)

Basic 2 or 3 star alignment question with AZ-EQ6

Hi, just a very basic question in am sure in regards to doing the simple 2 or 3 star alignment with the Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 using the Sysnscan hand held unit.

I have been playing around with the polar alignment routine and got that fairly well figured out.

I went through the standard 2 and 3 star alignment routine a few nights in a row and got the same result,
In that when i got the alignment successful, i then selected Jupiter in the handset and found that when it slewed to it, it was a fair bit off, If i was using a 10mm eye piece it would not be in the eye piece at all, it will be in a 20mm eye piece.

I tired out of curiosity using the options in the handset, slewing to a a nebular and also found it was way off.

I am guessing it am missing an important basic step somewhere,
All data is entered correctly as i am using the Synscanlnit 2.1 app.

I am using a pier extension and did notice a bit of movement in it the other night, so i have done a modification to fix this issue so it can't possibly move again, but don't think tis is causing the issue.

I did come across a post stating:

a) one star as low to the horizon as possible due east or west, this is effectively the azimuth reference; and
b) one star near the meridian, ideally at 90 degrees angle from the first star; this is effectively the altitude reference.

I have basically just been choosing Hadar as the first star, then struggling to get the handset to pick a second star as it just keeps on saying searching and then only gives you a few to select from before it goes back over them again.

I have goto Dobsonian and have been doing a 2 star alignment with it for quiet some time with no dramas at all and is always fairly spot on.
I have been trying to do the AZ-EQ6 the same way,

After i have put all the information in and before i select yes for the star alignment, do i have to first tell it is in home position or something?

I generally just enter all the details and go straight to the star alignment part.

If i do a 2 or 3 star alignment, then do another 2 or 3 star alignment, then another, dose this cancel out the first one i did or dose it add it also and helps the accuracy?
I pack it up after every night, so not a permanent setup.

Lots or questions i realize, just trying to figure out what is going wrong here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.