View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 PM
diegocolonnello (Diego)
Breathing Stars

About the use of observatories....

Is the best thing you can do (if you have the sky for it) doesn't need to be a dark site, but not like the place i lived before, between 2 airports!!!! really bad....

Before the observatories, Every time i did set up i was introducing errors, something was not the same, and then, like it happens a lot, the clouds came earlier....

I have had a dome and now a roll off, and both options are GREAT, the dome is more expensive but it is quick to get it going ( we put a NEXdome together in 2 hours)

The roll off roof is WAY CHEAPER, but took me 3 days of work.... and by cheaper i mean less than 1000 bucks including Motor...

Result?

your equipment is always there waiting for you to flip the switch, you only do one good guider calibration and that stays like that for a long time until you change something.

In my case i already had a cloud watcher, you can easily connect the cloudwatcher to the motor and have it close the roof when clouds come....

Same thing can be done with the Rain sensor from hydreon...

You can start imaging in 5 minutes get one or two hours of data, close it because clouds are coming and spend a couple more hours processing to enjoy your new photo.