View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 07:38 PM
diegocolonnello (Diego)
Breathing Stars

Can i be part of this one?????

I have mainly imaged with newts, first an 8 inch F5 and then a 10 Inch f4...

I did try with an 80mm Explore scientific refractor but collimation issues made me love my NEWTS a lot!!!

refractor are great for AP but they are more expensive if you increase aperture and/or specs, like triplets or cuadruplets!!!!

Newts are less expensive, you can buy more aperture, you will need a heavier more stable mount and it comes with the need for colimation skills.... (a good refractor does not need to be touched).

So, the good part, i love using a Newtonian, at the moment i am on the sweet spot of 10 inches F4... (thinking of 12 F4).... in the future...

Mount!!!!

A nicely tuned and mantained eq6 or AzEq6 can handle a 100mm refractor and get awesome results, but, no matter what someone says, they can't deal with a 10 inch telescope, mo matter what i did, my EQ6 worked hard with an 8 inch F5 Carbon Fiber scope.... lightest setup possible, cables ran inside the mount, nothing dragging and it was hard work....

I needed a bigger mount and a EQ8 was on my mind, then lucky me, i made a deal and found a nice OLD Takahashi NJP..... this mount is from 2004 and still going.... part of the payment was a nice QHY9M that i had with filter wheel and OAG................. by then i already had a ZWO 1600.

From this moment on i started to see with my own eyes what you can do with the right equipment, i moved to 10 inches and the combination worked, i have shot and processed more than 150 photos in less than 2 years, do the numbers, mostly all of them RGB or HST so multiply by the number of filters and number of subs....... only 1 out of 100 subs goes to the bin.......

Having that working ok, i started to improve my telescope:

Carbon Fiber tube
Wide Dovetail
Big, quality Focuser (with stepper motor)
Got rid of the primary mirror clips and glued the mirror
Adjusted the size of the secondary to illuminate the entire sensor with the 100% zone.
Learned how to colimate the entire thing, Focuser tilt, proper offset, etc....
Spider Vanes fixed to get clean nice sharp difrraction spikes and then, the best and most important part of all:::::

I HAVE BEEN STUDYING A LOT ABOUT MY MOUNT MY CAMERA SENSOR AND THE SWEET SPOT BETWEEN SUB NUMBERS AND EXPOSURE.

Read about GAIN and how your sensor WORKS, then learn how to use the histogram and test the right settings.....

The result?

1 hour integration time

15 x 80 sec R
15 x 80 sec G
15 x 80 sec B

Click image for larger version

Name:	M 20 50% iis.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	228092

Not the best photo, but shows what a 10 inch F4 does in one hour...