View Single Post
Old 29-04-2020, 01:06 AM
g__day (Matthew)
Tech Guru

Hi Ivo,

I have tried adding a new port and swapping ports around. I updated from v3.54 to the latest version of your software and find the USB monitor very helpful - it showed me the ZWO ASI120MM-s guide camera switching on and off ever few minutes for a few seconds - which made me wonder is the MBeat powered USB3/2 hub - with individual on / off buttons per port - possibly got a bit of a troublesome on/off button!

I switched the 120MM-s around once to a different port on my second MBeat hub and I saw no more switching on and off for almost an hour before the behavior started again with just that camera. So I simply switched it off then.

I got no USB errors to indicate any problems with the ASI071MC-c controlled by APT - but it did failed downloading an image twice causing the run to totally hang in the first 3-4 minutes of a 4 hour dark run. After these two failures I switched the order of dark frames to take short images first and it has been rock solid for over two hours now. SGP I have noticed seems to have had 2-3 hangs, but I guess it has a timeout function that if an image isn't received in minute it aborts the shot, tells the camera to clear its buffer and tries again. Wonder if that is something APT could adopt too?

So my thinking before I switch to USB2 is to try a high quality powered USB3 hub whose ports are always on; would you recommend any brand?

By the way yes I have switched to the ZWO native driver - I think your software is very impressive!

One last strange behaviour - if an imaging running had to be stopped when the camera download timed out - once or twice the cooling aid would say cooling - to a target temperature of -5 - but whilst the camera had risen in this time back up to -2 or -3 - it would raise the temperature all the way to 15 degrees, before cooling it back down to -5! Any idea how this behaviour switched on - it was like it was trying to enforce a non selected warming aid before it would give precedence back to the cooling aid!
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Dual imaging - darks working small.jpg)
168.6 KB31 views
Click for full-size image (Darks working small.jpg)
174.1 KB21 views

Last edited by g__day; 29-04-2020 at 09:20 AM.