View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 04:36 PM
ausastronomer (John Bambury)

I looked into this about 10 years ago with respect to insuring all of the 3RF equipment. I have a friend who is a broker and he canvassed it with several underwriters. The cost to collectively insure 7 large aperture dobs, a 12" binocular telescope, a pair of 25 x 150 Fuji Binoculars on a star chair plus about 40 Televue Eyepieces was fairly stiff, notwithstanding they were in the custody of 5 different people and located all over the place, which greatly minimised the insurance companies overall risk. We decided to "self insure" and 10 years later we haven't lost a major item. We have lost a few 2"/1.25" Feathertouch focuser adapters and countless Televue Eyepiece Lens Caps, but these were all worth less than the insurance excess in any case. We have lost a couple of hundred $$$ with of bits and saved well over $20,000 on Insurance Premiums.

One of the 3RF Volunteers took out Insurance cover on the 2 dobs and eyepieces he has custody of (for his own peace of mind) and the premium on a much smaller collective of equipment wasn't too bad. It cost him a couple of hundred dollars per year to insure the gear he has custody of for about $40,000. That was coverage in and out of the home. I am pretty sure he did it as an annexure to his home and contents policy through CGU. That was 10 years ago when he took it out and I haven't discussed it with him recently. He still has the scopes, not sure if he still pays the extra insurance.

Cheers