View Single Post
Old 04-12-2017, 10:56 AM
glend (Glen)

Specified Items, on your car policy, like photo equipment etc will cost you significantly so think about it, and get several policy quotes as you may need to switch to get what you want in the way of coverage.. If the gear is outside the car its probably not covered anyway. I recall a certain fellow that had his EQ8 mount knocked down by a young bull up at Bretti in the middle of the night.
I always put my scope inside my locked vehicle after a session, but that only works for fairly small setups, and obviously breaking down aligned mounts, or dobs, is not likely to be feasible at 2am or later, so most would not try. Your best security is to go in company with others, and literally 'circle the wagons', this has worked well for group trips.

If your away from your locked vehicle in a remote location there is not much you can do, other than making sure your equipment cannot be seen from outside the car (ie throw a sleeping bag over it). Again, going in company usually insures that someone is always watching your gear or vehicle while your off bathing in the river.