View Single Post
Old 14-05-2008, 07:44 AM
montewilson (Monte)

Just get the pure H and leave the N alone. I owned a gas company for many years and we actually sold it to BOC so I am quite familiar with the concept of decanting gas from one cylinder to another.

You could theoretically transfer the gas from a high pressure cylinder to a propane bottle but you will need the correct high pressure regulators, not oxy/acet regs which are low pressure. Never do it without a regulator! The safety valve in the propane bottle will vent at about 225psi but please do yourself a favour and leave that method alone, while it is an inventive solution using easily available items, it's just not desirable for safety reasons. Let sleeping dogs lay.

Catastrophic failures with compressed gases can be deadly. There is an enormous amount of potential energy available that can create shrapnel and flying debris. This is what could happen transferring H and N which don't liquify under pressure.

Failures due to hydraulic pressure are not quite as scary because when they fail the pressure instantly drops and liquid gas is not elastic and has not got the same potential energy.

If you had a faulty pressure gauge and sticky safety valve, you could literally blow up (as in bang with flying bits) the receiving bottle many times over with what is in the supply bottle.

I actually had a couple of forming gas bottles (G size). They were made for some other commercial application by CIG (in those days) and I can't remember what happened to them. I guess they went back to their owner.

You could call their specialty gases division and ask if they have such a mix in maybe a D or E size - call 131 262. Don't bother calling it forming gas they wont know WTF you are on about. Just refer to the ratio of the mix and see what they say.

I miss the good old film days - I used to hyper film and it was much more romantic and less clinical than digital astrophotography.