View Single Post
Old 03-09-2014, 09:49 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hyperions are not the same eyepiece!

Baader designed these to match SCT & Mak optical designs. They perform poorly in Newts & refractors. The only exception is the 5mm that is a different design to the others & does well in fast Newtonians. The only Hyperion I now own is the 5mm. I've used it in my 8" f/4 Newtonian & it is a fantastic eyepiece. It is a common misconception that Hyperions are the same eyepiece as the LVW. If you look carefully at all the glowing reports on them, all these reports are using SCT's and Maks!!! I made the mistake of not being careful enough to notice this and it cost me a bomb learning the hard way. The great positive out of this experience was it made me aware of the scope-to-eyepiece design compatability that is not understood enough.

If you have a Mak or SCT, Hyperions are a great eyepiece. If you have a Newtonian, only the 5mm will work.

The Celestron Ultima LX line is similar to the Hyperions in that they designed to match SCTs. They are a poor match to Newts. I have the 8mm & 13mm of these &only use them in my C8. Great eyepieces here.