View Single Post
Old 17-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Paddy (Patrick)
Canis Minor

Thanks all! The old Argo Navis constellation must be one of the riches for DSOs especially OCs. You could spend years on it I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgc hunter View Post
Nice report Paddy. How good is NGC 2477! My first encounter with 2477 occured when I swept it up by chance with the 120st and my first thought was wow another Omega Centauri . Not sure why this stunning object is virtually unheard of both in literature and amongst amatuers, it's not that uber far south! It's made even better by its neighbour 2451, lovely in the 120st at low power, showing two extremes in the varieties of open cluster shoulder to shoulder, however according to Steve Gottleib's notes in NGC IC, 2451 might actually be a random grouping. Either way, what a gem of a pair.

Incidentally I observed NGC 2452 aswell last night and clearly saw those 2 lobes you mentioned. Reminds me of a hamburger, which did not help the late night hunger pangs! The southern lobe seems to have a nearly stellar bright spot in it.

I hear ya about the mozzies, damn things were giving me hell last night. There wasn't many biting me, but when they buzz around your head, that noise they make is enough to make me scream in pure rage Hate this summer, cold, cloudy and mosquito ridden, first time in my life I'll say, bring on winter!

Cheers
I'll have to go back to 2452 and see if I can find the cherry in the hamburger. Hmmm... strange culinary thought that. The worst thing about the heat is that it's impossible to cover up enough to keep the mozzies at bay. the only problem with hoping for winter is wishing away some great constellations and they already seem to march across the sky so quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Nice report Paddy and thanks for sharing. Seeing your notes and Sabs comments prompted me to lookup my notes from observing NGC 2477 back in Dec 09. I described it as glorious and would love to see it from a darker site, must remember to have a look at it when at SV in March.

Malcolm
Maybe we could do a tour of some of the Puppis clusters - if I remember correctly, you've done obs on heaps of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
Hi Paddy,

Nice report,I haven't had a clear night in ages.Yesterday was clear but the moon washed out most things(still should of observed,but still have mosquito bites from 2 weeks ago)

thanks for posting
cheers Orestis
2 weeks - that's dreadful. At least mine are gone by the morning. 'Twould be a very strong disincentive to get the scope out.