View Single Post
Old 21-05-2015, 02:05 AM
ericwbenson (Eric)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Oh the dreaded "Unknown Device" message.

All too familiar.

If the Proline is loading fine on someone else's laptop then the cables are likely fine? I find this sort of problem is usually the driver not loading or the computer not reading the camera for some reason.
He was using his own cable, hence why I it might be the cable that is strapped to the scope that is the problem (I hope since that is easy to fix).

Quote:
I see it all the time even with a "stable" setup.
Jeez, I hope I don't see it all the time with my very remote setup, now you have me worried!

Quote:
Sometimes I need to power off the cam, turn off the computer and turn it back on then power up the cam.
Done this multiple times, e.g. left the computer and cam off for 6-8 hours etc.

Quote:
What fixed it was the flilib.dll (I think that's it name) file in CCDsoft was different to the same file in /windows/system32/. I copied one and pasted it in the other to make them match. Apparently they can have a mismatch of different times or something and that makes them fail.
Hmmm, "unknown device" is a kernel level driver issue from what I can tell (i.e. fliusb32.sys not being loaded because the PNP manager can't id the camera), no application level DLLs are involved at that point, so I don't believe that is relevant.

Quote:
Or simply delete the FLI install and reinstall the FLI driver install freshly.
Tried that a few times...

Quote:
On Sat night I used a different cable for my STi guider. It was working fine. I sat through the first download and it looked sensational. Great.

As soon as I walked out the door the cable must have failed and the STi stopped working. The next morning the whole image run had failed. I was so excited by the quality of the subs. They were outstanding.

Meh - patience is required with this technical hobby as equipment gremlins are common. USB hubs seem particularly sensitive and prone to failure. I think also the sequence of start up is vital. I always turn my computer on and let it boot up before I power up any devices.
USB is the bane of our (amateur astronomers) existence, it was never designed for reliable, constant connections that might be in a cold/hot environment, but that 's all there is...ugh.

Thx for sharing your thoughts,
EB